Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Secrets to Annie Jaffrey's Super Successful YouTube Channel

Annie JaffreyAnnie Jaffrey
Annie JaffreyAnnie Jaffrey
If you're really looking to master some interesting makeup techniques, you need to bookmark Annie Jaffrey's YouTube channel—stat.

The Swedish-born beauty guru is a teacher at heart, using her skills with everything from eyeliner to bronzer to show her loyal subscribers new and innovative ways to look and feel great.

Her channel is a must-watch for beauty beginners.

See details and one of her video after the cut.


What's your dream job?
I'm lucky enough to be doing my dream job right now, and it's not one I even thought possible when I was younger. I love being able to help out others and teach them things I know about health and beauty through my channel. I'd really like to one day interact with people on a one-on-one basis too. That would be nice!

When did you first decide to start your channel?
Just over two years ago. I wanted my own little place to talk about topics I was passionate about, and I thought someone may benefit from the things I discussed.

What camera do you use?
A Panasonic DSLR. It's great for taking videos! My setup is very simple. I just place the camera on a tripod and film in front of my window to get natural lighting.

What is your most-viewed video?
The "What's in My Bag" video. I think all of us girls are a little curious!

Tell us about your single most frustrating vlogging moment.
Anytime there's construction and traffic noise outside. I live in the middle of Manhattan and the roads get super busy. I often have to start over or wait a minute for sirens to pass to redo a sentence. Thank goodness for editing!

What's your favorite part about being a YouTube beauty guru?
Being able to help someone else or lift their mood! And of course I love being able to give advice about the things I enjoy.

Who are a few of your favorite beauty gurus?
I love GossMakeupArtist. He is a professional makeup artist in the UK with a great personality. His videos are short, to the point, and he's taught me so much about makeup! I also love ItsJudyTime. Judy is so sweet and genuine. She does awesome videos about her first impressions of certain products that are really helpful.

Many of our readers want to start their own channels. What three nitty-gritties would you advise them to do or not to do? 
A few quick tips: Get creative and make unique videos, have good lighting, keep the videos as short as possible, and connect with your audience. Just be as unique as possible and speak from the heart.

What's the latest beauty product you've fallen in love with?
Argan oil! I use it in my hair, in my body lotion, around my eye area, and on my cuticles. It's a great overall product.

What are your three can't-live-without-them beauty essentials?
MAC Studio Fix is my go-to powder foundation, especially during the summertime. Clinique Lash Doubling Mascara is the best volumizing formula for my lashes because it makes them look so full! And Physicians Formula Blush in Rose is the perfect little pick-me-up for your skin. It provides a nice hint of pink and has a subtle glow.

Do you have any cool storage tricks for keeping all your stuff organized?
Keep only what's necessary and clean out your collection every month or so—less is more! Also try to buy furniture that doubles as storage. I have these two vintage-looking trunks in my apartment stacked on top of one another. They store bulky items, like winter jackets and extra pillows.


No comments: