Thursday, September 26, 2013

ASUU strike gallivants into week 11.

url
THE ongoing strike embarked upon by Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) is eleven weeks old, and as it is, the lecturers and their employers, the Federal Government of Nigeria, who is yet to meet their demands may not shift grounds soon.
The nationwide strike followed Federal Government’s failure to honour what is termed as The Academic Earned Allowance (AEA) which formed a component of the 2009 agreement government signed with the union.  The lecturers said they won’t return to the classrooms until the agreement with the Federal Government is implemented in full.  The implementation, however, according to Mrs. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, Minister of Finance will cost the government about N90 billion.
When two elephants fight, the grass suffers. The grass here are the students who stay at home – and because of the realities on ground some of them have taken up activities to engage their time while the strike lasts.  ENCOMIUM Weekly spoke to some students who narrated what they do now to buy time till the strike ends.
MARY FALOLA, University of Ibadan
I am a 200 level student of Economics, University of Ibadan. I have stayed long enough at home. I want to go back to school. Although, I am working in my father’s table water company, that is not my priority. My academic work is what I should be concentrating on now. But with the situation of thing right now, nobody is sure of the time of resumption.
My prayer now is that ASUU and federal government should just agree once and for all so that there won’t be any strike action again in the country.
ALM OSAGIE, University of Benin
I am a final year student of UNIBEN, a Law student. I decided to take a month course in event planning and decoration and small chops. So, right now, I work with my family and friends. Anytime they have small parties, they pay me to make small chops.
FABUNMI LEKAN, Lagos State University
Before the strike, I was in 300 level studying Computer Science. Right now I’m doing a course in Networking at NIIT. It is always good to get these certificates, if you’re studying Computer Science. I’m still looking for strike to end but for now, that is what occupies my time.
NIYI OGUNDINMU, University of Lagos
I am a 300 level, Banking and Finance student of the University of Lagos. Ever since the strike started, I engaged myself with ushering jobs. Doing that has kept me busy.
FOLAKEMI AROSO, University of Ibadan
ASUU has turned me into a poultry attendant o. I tried to get a part time or temporary teaching job but I couldn’t. The schools I went to only wanted people that will stay for a long time. I later got a call from a cousin that his friend’s parents needed extra hands in their poultry, so, I applied and I was taken.
It’s not too interesting but I’m still better than people sleeping at home doing nothing.
ADETOLA LAWAL, University of Lagos
The ASUU strike has not set me back so much. I believe it has only slowed down my academic activities. I have been making money. During the last holiday I took an event planning course, so all I am doing now is making money and developing myself.
So, I am not really bored or sad about the strike though it is not a good thing.
MOSUN ADEYEMI, Lagos State University
I help my mom with her business. I attend meetings on her behalf and I also help her deliver something. She pays me well and it’s less stressful for my mom. As much as I am not happy about the strike, I am not wasting away. I am learning and making money too.
TEMITOPE ABIOLA, Ahmadu Bello University
My name is Temitope Abiola. I am a final year student of Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, studying Mass Communication.
Since ASUU refused to call off the strike, I have been helping my cousin in her shop. She sells baby things and clothing items. I also engage in petty trade to keep body and soul together.
Culled from ENCOMIUM

No comments: